Once I had the wiring figured out, it was time to make it permenant. I used a project case, a perf-board, a 40-pin DIP socket, a 6-pin Molex KK Series connector, 4 stand-offs, and a power connector. The picture below was taken, in the beginning, when I was deciding where to mount the DIP socket and 6-pin connector. Perf-board Layout


After soldering the socket and connectors, I ran short wires to duplicate the circuit on the breadboard. Power wires were added along with jumper headers for the RESET# and PROG# pins. The picture below shows perf-board after the soldering was done. Finished perf-board

Getting the case ready:

Case, prior to assembly I started by using a file to make slots for the USB connectors. Next I removed the shell from the RCL1, then used the file on the other side of the case to make a slot for the serial connector. Since the case's built-in standoffs didn't match my perf-board's screw holes, new standoffs had to be added. The main challenge was getting the standoffs lined up properly. To accomplish this, I attached the standoffs to the board, moved the board into position, then used hot glue to hold the standoffs down. This kept them in place when I removed the perf-board. Next, I drilled holes for the standoffs and mounted them to the case. Finally, holes were drilled for mounting the serial connector, and a hole was drilled for the power connector. The picture on the right was taken just prior to final assembly.

Case, prior to assembly Assembly:

First the perf-board was attached to the standoffs. Then I mounted the power connector and soldered the power wires. Last, but not least, the RCL1 level converter was attached to the case, using jackscrew standoffs. The picture on the right was taken just prior to attaching the top cover. The pictures below show the fully assembled case.

Case, serial side Case, USB side


Last Update: 8-24-2008