Obd2

Started by ernest wadsworth, February 25, 2003, 02:41:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ernest wadsworth

After trying scantool software which worked, but would not read the fault codes. I loaded Brent's software for Dos, this software did not read the codes but came up with a message:-
"43" response received but the data has errors. Wrong number of bytes was received from the Elm 32x.
Not being a programmer what,does this mean? It must be reading the data, but the format must be wrong. The car is a Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 2001. Are the European codes different in some way. Any comments would be welcome.
              ernie

admin

The error message means that the software sent a mode 3 request (get trouble codes) and the scantool responded, but the software didn't understand the data.

There may be some subtle differences between the various ELM chips that the software isn't accounting for.  (I tested the program on a '97 Pontiac Bonneville, which uses the VPW protocol)

Try rerunning the software using the /debug command switch, then try reading the troublecodes.  It should still come up with the same error, but this time it'll generate a log file (obd.log).

Email me a copy of the log file (send it as a file attachment), then hopefully I'll be able to sort out what it all means.

liviosandre

is possible to reprogramming car device for increase hp with scantool?
thanks

admin

This issue was discussed on the scantool.net message board a while back.  OBD-II write operations are encrypted.  The government requires this because they're were afraid that people would tweak their vehicles for performance at the expense of fuel economy / emissions.

For more information take a look at the folowing thread on the scantool.net message board.
http://www.scantool.net/forum/index.php?board=3" TARGET="_top">http://www.scantool.net/forum/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=40;start=msg173#msg173

Quick Reply

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
write the numbers seen in SDFa323yyqp9:
write the numbers seen in 8asA6DD7azmzme6:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview